Canadians who own foreign property valued over $100,000 at any point in any given year must file for a Form T1135 (also known as a Foreign Income Verification Statement). You must declare all types of foreign property that you own, whether it be stocks (of a non-resident corporation), inheritance, land or buildings. The only types of foreign property you do not have to report are; mutual funds registered within Canada; personal property (art collections, coins, jewelry, etc.); vacation property that you use as a primary private residence; funds in registered retirement; income and/or pension plans; or property that is strictly related to your business.

The Form T1135 has to be filed on or before the due date of your income tax return and can be filed electronically (see the CRA website for more information).

NOT LEGAL ADVICE. Information made available on this website in any form is for information purposes only and is a general discussion of certain legal matters. It is not, and should not be taken as legal advice. You should not rely on or take or fail to take any action based on this information. If you require legal advice, we would be pleased to discuss resolutions to specific legal concerns you may have.